Hidden away in the undergrowth at the foot of Horsenden Hill you will find all that’s left of the Ballot Box public house. It was built in around 1867 and was used as the polling station for those who lived and worked on the Grand Union canal. If it wasn’t for the helpful sign next to the footpath most people would be unaware of these bits of masonry. Nature has taken hold since it was demolished in 1943 and smothered the site with trees, ivy and brambles. The pub was rebuilt further down the road and has since been extended but this was where an afternoon’s drinking session began in 1887 and ended at the Black Horse pub, with rather soggy consequences (click here and type in reference number t18870725-786 then look through the results for the Old Bailey record of the case of Tom Collis, 25th July 1887).
Images and text ©Albertina McNeill 2012. Please do not reproduce without permission. All rights reserved. Do not add any of these images to Pinterest or similar sites as this will be regarded as a violation of copyright.